Laparoscopic Heller myotomy and anterior Dor fundoplication for achalasia cardia in Malaysia: Clinical outcomes and satisfaction from four tertiary centers

Elsevier, Asian Journal of Surgery, Volume 44, Issue 1, 2021, Pages 158-163,
Sze Li Siow, Hans Alexander Mahendran, Wan Daud Najmi, Shyang Yee Lim, Abdul Rahman Hashimah, Kelvin Voon, Keat How Teoh, Han Sin Boo, Jun Sen Chuah, Sidi Nurazim, Mohamad Hisham Faqihuddin


To evaluate the clinical outcomes and satisfaction of patients following laparoscopic Heller myotomy for achalasia cardia in four tertiary centers.


Fifty-five patients with achalasia cardia who underwent laparoscopic Heller myotomy between 2010 and 2019 were enrolled. The adverse events and clinical outcomes were analyzed. Overall patient satisfaction was also reviewed.


The mean operative time was 144.1 ± 38.33 min with no conversions to open surgery in this series. Intraoperative adverse events occurred in 7 (12.7%) patients including oesophageal mucosal perforation (n = 4), superficial liver injury (n = 1), minor bleeding from gastro-oesophageal fat pad (n = 1) & aspiration during induction requiring bronchoscopy (n = 1). Mean time to normal diet intake was 3.2 ± 2.20 days. Mean postoperative stay was 4.9 ± 4.30 days and majority of patients (n = 46; 83.6%) returned to normal daily activities within 2 weeks after surgery. The mean follow-up duration was 18.8 ± 13.56 months. Overall, clinical success (Eckardt ≤ 3) was achieved in all 55 (100%) patients, with significant improvements observed in all elements of the Eckardt score. Thirty-seven (67.3%) patients had complete resolution of dysphagia while the remaining 18 (32.7%) patients had some occasional dysphagia that was tolerable and did not require re-intervention. Nevertheless, all patients reported either very satisfied or satisfied and would recommend the procedure to another person.


Laparoscopic Heller myotomy and anterior Dor is both safe and effective as a definitive treatment for treating achalasia cardia. It does have a low rate of oesophageal perforation but overall has a high degree of patient satisfaction with minimal complications.