‘What we do impacts the world. Our products and services shed light on some of the most pressing global issues. The RELX SDG Resource Centre will aid researchers and the public by giving them access to critical content that informs understanding about the SDGs.’
Erik Engstrom, CEO, RELX
What are the SDGs?
The Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) set out the UN agenda for people, planet and prosperity through 2030. The SDGs were adopted by 193 states at the United Nations in September 2015. The 17 goals and 169 targets aim to stimulate action in areas of critical importance to humanity and the environment. RELX is a dedicated signatory of the UN Global Compact which uses the SDGs to chart business participation in achieving these aims.
The goal of the RELX SDG Resource Centre
The SDG Resource Centre showcases the latest in science, law, business, events and more that can help drive forward the SDGs, drawing on content from across the whole of our company and from key partners as well. The aim is to support the UN in implementing the SDGs and to broaden awareness and understanding of the SDGS for our customers, governments, researchers, companies, NGOs and individuals.
Content on the SDG Resource Centre and how to access it
The content on the SDG Resource Centre includes articles, reports, legal practical guidance, tools, webinars and videos and events, categorised by SDG and tagged with relevant topics and region. You can explore by SDG or content type (articles, reports etc) and search all of the content using the search form.
SDG News Tracker
The SDG News Tracker shows up to the minute news – and over the last 30 days – about the SDGs from around the world. Find it on the homepage and in the News section. The size of bars indicates each SDG’s ‘share of voice’ for a given week. It searches over millions of articles published daily across 77,000 news sources, in the six UN languages (Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Spanish and Russian) as well as German. You can also search for SDG news by geography (region, country and state/province) using our mapping function: access the Global Map on each SDG main page. The SDG news tracker is built and maintained using LexisNexis Newsdesk®.
What can RELX contribute?
There is strategic alignment with the SDGs across RELX. We focus on our unique contributions as a business – making a positive impact through our knowledge, resources and skills – including:
- universal, sustainable access to information
- advance of science and health
- protection of society
- promotion of the rule of law and justice
- fostering communities
- Elsevier plays an important role in advancing human welfare and economic progress through its science and health information. Reports, such as The Power of Data to Advance the SDGs and How can research help the world hit net zero by 2050? provide deep insight into emerging trends and opportunities
- LexisNexis Legal & Professional advances the rule of law throughout the world and the rule of law underpins all the SDGs. For example, LexisNexis Legal & Professional products and services strengthen SDG 16 focused on peace and justice. See, for example, the Rule of Impact Tracker developed with the World Justice Project. At the 2016 UN General Assembly, we provided the singular private sector view on how business can support the rule of law during a high-level panel on the Global Alliance for Reporting Progress on Peaceful, Just and Inclusive Societies
- LexisNexis Risk Solutions Groups open source HPCC systems technology helps protect society, for example by using big data to detect and prevent fraud for governments and a range of business sectors. And its information for professional communities delivers industry solutions: for example, Proagrica, harness data and analytics to improve agricultural yields and ensure sustainable land use
- RX events foster communities and improve the efficiency of markets. They provide platforms for supporting the SDGs, among them, World Future Energy Summit focused on affordable and clean energy and World Travel Market dedicated to sustainable tourism.
As a multinational business and signatory of the UN Global Compact, RELX has a role to play in advancing the SDGs. In the words of Richard Horton, editor of one of our flagship publications, The Lancet: ‘We have the content, we have the international reach. We have the ambition, we have the people, and we have an incredible capacity to innovate. We can use all of that to advocate for better policies and better action to reach these goals.’ The aim of the SDG Resource Centre is to do just that.
We'd like to hear from you
Email email@example.com with your thoughts on the RELX SDG Resource Centre.
RELX is a global provider of information-based analytics and decision tools for professional and business customers. The company serves customers in more than 180 countries and has offices in about 40 countries. It employs over 33,000 people, of whom almost half are in North America.
We help scientists make new discoveries, doctors and nurses improve the lives of patients and lawyers win cases. We prevent online fraud and money laundering, and help insurance companies evaluate and predict risk. Our events enable customers to learn about markets, source products and complete transactions. In short, we enable our customers to make better decisions, get better results and be more productive.
Scientific, Technical & Medical
Scientific, Technical & Medical provides information and analytics that help institutions and professionals progress science, advance healthcare and improve performance.
We help researchers make new discoveries, collaborate with their colleagues and give them the knowledge they need to find funding. We help governments and universities evaluate and improve their research strategies. We help doctors and nurses improve the lives of patients, providing insight to find the right clinical answers.
Risk provides customers with information-based analytics and decision tools that combine public and industry-specific content with advanced technology and algorithms to assist them in evaluating and predicting risk and enhancing operational efficiency.
We combine data and analytics with deep industry expertise to help customers make better decisions and manage risk. We deliver insight to insurance companies and help detect and prevent online fraud and money laundering. We provide digital tools that help airlines and farmers improve their operations.
Legal provides legal, regulatory and business information and analytics that help customers increase their productivity, improve decision-making and achieve better outcomes.
We help lawyers win cases, manage their work more efficiently, serve their clients better and grow their practices. We assist corporations in better understanding their markets and preventing bribery and corruption within their supply chains. We partner with leading global associations and customers to help advance the Rule of Law across the world.
Exhibitions is a leading global events business. It combines face-to-face with data and digital tools to help customers learn about markets, source products and complete transactions at over 500 events in almost 30 countries, attracting more than 7m participants.
Our events leverage industry expertise, large data sets and technology to enable our customers to generate billions of dollars of revenues for the economic development of local markets and national economies around the world.