The rapid deterioration of ocean health, which deeply affects biodiversity, coastal communities and the health of the planet, must be urgently addressed. As this report shows, this deterioration is, like climate change, caused by human activity. We need the capacity and competence of the business community to solve this challenge. Ensuring a healthy marine environment is not only necessary for many ocean companies to continue to operate in the long-term — innovating and investing in new ocean solutions also provides a significant business opportunity.
As this report lays out, the ocean can be the key to achieving the Global Goals. In the next decade, we can:
- Improve ocean health by preventing pollution and litter from entering the ocean.
- Map the ocean around the world, pioneering innovative research and discovering new insights.
- Make healthy food from the ocean available to all.
- Provide affordable, clean energy to people everywhere.
- Produce low-emission solutions for global maritime transport, facilitating a cleaner, more efficient provider of trade and growth.
We must leverage ocean sustainability, not only to protect the ocean itself, but to ensure people and planet can prosper and thrive.